Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tiptoe through the tulips...only not as creepy...

I've taken to crocheting again. I find it soothing to just sit on the couch and crochet. It's rather mindless work and yet, by the end of So You Think You Can Dance I was finished with 1/3 of a scarf for Hans. She spent $12 on the yarn. I gently pointed out to her that she could have bought a really nice set of hat, scarf & gloves at the Target for the same amount. Without missing a beat she said, "But it wouldn't be made with love." I still don't think my love is worth $12!

After hearing a segment on CBC radio about ukuleles, I decided that I was going to learn to play one. I knew that I would have to wait until classes were finished, because if I had it in the house I knew that I wouldn't focus on my school work and would instead spend endless hours learning to play Bon Jovi songs on my ukulele. So, the other night, with classes completed, I ordered my ukulele. Then I got a email saying it was back-ordered (which, by the way, if I had known I wouldn't have ordered that one, obviously) and now I can't get anybody from Musician's Friend to write or call me back. All I want to know is when I'll be getting the damn thing and to make things worse, the "How to get hours of joy and impress your friends and strangers by playing this awesome wee-guitar" book that I ordered at the same time is set to get here next week. Talk about depressing.

Gavin wrote a letter for Santa at school this week. It went like this:
Dear Santa,

How are you? May I have a Transformer and a Bionicle too? I love Christmas, do you love it too?

First off, I appreciate how he inquires after Santa and how he's doing! The second best feature is the fact that my kid used the phrase "May I"!! What 7 year old says "May I"?!!

Kevin, I'm a little jealous about your procuring of the book for a dollar...it does seem like a excellent way to buy books, but I have an issue with "used" books....I always have, even in college, I always bought all my books new....it gave me the heebs to have a book that I knew a stranger had put their germs all over...it's the same reason I can't read books from the library...it makes me uncomfortable! You can call me a weirdo, but I prefer quirky! And congratulations on being 1/2 of an empty-nest couple. Please tell me that you and Carolyn make out all the time because there's nobody to harsh on your mellow now!

1 comment:

Kevin Doyle said...

About the books; you can get new ones at low prices as well with BookFinder.com worth a try. I just bought a brand new hardcover book that's $35 for $12.

And Carolyn and I never let the boys being around cramp our style. (laughed out loud at the 'harsh on our mellow' line'.)