Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I can help you at this window, sir.

I often wonder what exactly goes through a person's mind when they're calling another human being "incompetent." And after they've yelled and belittled that person, do they have a flash of guilt or remorse about it. I'm wondering about it a lot more today as it actually happened to me this afternoon. I was helping a patron with his ticket order and evidently he felt my intelligence (or lack thereof) should be brought to the attention of my colleagues and his fellow patrons in a rather loud and abrasive manner. I've learned a lot at my job. I've learned a lot about myself at my job. I've mostly learned that people are kinda jerks. I hate to admit it. I hate it even more to put it into print, but, alas, it's the truth. I've learned that no good deed goes unpunished and if you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to definitely want a glass of milk and he's not going to want to pay full price for it OR like where I've put the cup. I guess this is what I get for being nice...but life kinda has a way of sucking the nice out of you....no, that's not true...life has a way of making you decide who you're going to be nice to and then leave the rest where they stand....I give everybody the same fair start...haven't they heard the saying "You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"?!!

1 comment:

Kristiana said...

I had a patron tell me I didn't know how to do my job because I was female. And then he handed me a pile of broken cds with blood on them because he had just gotten beaten up. He also smelled like booze. Yeah.