Monday, January 4, 2010

Sweet dreams?!?

Huzzah! The Holidays are over and things can go back to being only 80% stressful instead of 99% stressful. Huzzah!

I got bullied into celebrating New Years by Hans and Brother. I went to Salt Lake, drank entirely too many Bellinis (but, by God, they are good), ate too many quesadillas from the Sam's Club and ended up getting sleepy (booze and food coma I'm afraid) and Designated Driver dad drove us home (Midvale home) and we didn't even countdown or anything. I did however, in my tipsy mindframe manage to rock the New Year's Eve tiara Hans had purchased from the Target. I rocked it. I rocked it hard.

I must admit the one good thing about the holiday was having the entire week off from work. I just spent the entire time reading and crocheting and sleeping in and watching marathon upon marathon of awesome television. I finished Kathy Griffin's autobiography (still love her, even if her writing style leaves a little to be desired), Julia Child's memoir (want to be her when I grow up!) and the Canada Reads suggestion of Nikolski....Kevin & Ann-ette, this too is an excellent book and I HIGHLY recommend it...its made its way onto the rotation of books I will continue to read for the rest of my life....the characters are charming, the story is charming and the writing style is charming....an all-around pretty fantastic book. Now. Where's my damn Jade Peony, Ann-ette?!!

According to the tracking, my ukulele is currently in Commerce City, Colorado, after spending the holiday in Salina, Kansas. I have no idea where either of these places are located, but the important thing is that the ukulele is slowly, but surely making its way to me and then, Bon Jovi uke-style!

I've been having the oddest dreams lately. The other night I dreamt about The Grasshopper and the Ant, before that I dreamt that Ann-ette was married to Ryan Pence and madly in love with him. I'm trying to find a cause for the weirdness, but it's elusive at this moment. I know they say that dreams are the subconscious' way of working things out, but I'd like to know what Ryan Pence is doing in my subconscious, because frankly, it gives me the heebs!

Kevin, I was sorry to hear about Carolyn's mom. It's never an easy thing to lose someone, especially a mom, and just because she had dementia doesn't make that loss any easier....I hope Carolyn is giving herself time to grieve and cry...sometimes the best thing to do is just to cry it out....I'm a firm believer in crying things out and I encourage a healthy cry...I also encourage you to make her french toast and serve it to her while wearing a bow-tie and little else....everybody likes french toast....everybody likes bow-ties!

Lillith, I hope you're hanging in there and feeling as good as a 9 month pregnant lady centimeters from delivery can feel! Just remember, it will all be over soon and then the fun starts!

And just to make sure I don't incur the wrath of Briskey for not mentioning him....I love you and miss you and you DO look good in black & white!!

4 comments:

Q said...

with my HS reunion coming up, i've been have strange dreams with HS people - though before that I do have to admit i was having some random USU cameos. Ryan Pence gave everyone the heebs and i would see someone immediately about getting him removed from your memory lest you dream that I married him.

I hope you can play some sick tracks - Kevi style - and upload them to your blog once your ukelele arrives!!

XOXO

Kevin Doyle said...

Carolyn and I thank you for the condolences, Amanda. Yes, she cried quite a bit for a few days and now, a couple of weeks later, still wakes up in the middle of the night with her mom on her mind and has a hard time getting back to sleep. But she assures me (and wanted me to pass on to you) that she's becoming more at peace with it every day.

Carolyn's dad died 6 years ago and her mom was already falling into her dementia. About 4 months after her dad died, her mother had to harrowing hallucinations that prompted us to have her move out of her house and into a place that would watch out for her. The first was when she was convinced the neighbors were trying to kill her (and she'd run outside and scream at them that she knew what they were up to. And the second, a couple of days later was when she could hear her brother committing suicide on the radio. Her brother was long dead and the radio was off, but she heard it all. We moved her over that night.

That was a very tough transition for her. Medications kept the nightmares away but she started having a series of vascular seizures in her brain that stole her mind. For the last 3 years she could not recognize us, communicate with us or do anything for herself, including feeding herself. She was essentially a quadriplegic with her mind gone. So - all-in-all, her passing is an absolute relief for her.

thanks again for the kind words.

The Bears said...

Thank you Amanda and the fun has already begun. I had my baby on Dec 31st... he came right in time for a New Year's Party. I'll blog about it soon. Who knew babies took up so much time???

Brian said...

Thank you. :)