Saturday, January 9, 2010

My dog has fleas

Well, everyone, I am very pleased to announce that I am currently the proud owner of a Lanikai soprano ukulele! HOORAY! I can't even express to you in words how excited this makes me! It was delivered on Wednesday and I've already learned to play Ode to Joy and Love Me Tender and I am now moving on to chords (there are 15 of them to learn!) and strum patterns (it's usually two upward strums for every downward strum). I found several free ukulele music sites on line (one called Uke Hunt...go ahead, say the website name out loud, but not in mixed company...I made the mistake of telling Hans the name while we were talking on the phone without realizing what it sounded like and had a moment of "oh geez!") that have just tons and tons of songs that you would never think you could play on the ukulele, so I printed off You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC, I'm a Believer by Neil Diamond and I Wanna Be Like You from the Jungle Book and once I get the hang of strumming and chords (again, 15!) I'm taking myself on the road to a coffee house near you!

I bought the textbook for my Drug Dosage & Calculations class and realized it's been a very long time since I've dealt with fractions and decimal points and percentages! But I'm determined to do well and be a Heparin calculating ninja when the class ends in March. I'm also going to be working on my Human Physiology class concurrently, so I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in isotonic solutions and mitochondria!

The weird dreams continue. Last night featured Chrizzie and Richie. We were all road tripping to some location in the Pacific Northwest and Chrizzie's father warned us that the weather was very bad and that it wasn't safe to drive the highways at night because of the weather and bandits....yes, bandits....but we left anyway and on the way we stopped at a cookie making plant where Chrizzie and Richie were friends of the owners and I ended up starting the cookie-making machine (think the machine from Edward Scissorhands, only not as creepy)and all this dough started flying everywhere and there was a huge mess and everybody was like "Oh, that Amanda, bless her heart." and I felt really stupid so I decided that I didn't want to continue on the road trip and started to drive home, in the dark, and I was really scared of the bandits....and then I woke up. A few nights before that I dreamt I was in Grey's Anatomy and I had to protect George's blood from this crazy lady that was trying to get it....the crazy lady turned out to be the mom from Home Alone and I remember thinking in my dream, "Why is the mom from Home Alone and Midnight at the Oasis from Waiting for Guffman trying to steal George's blood?" All very strange.

3 comments:

Chrislynn said...

Sounds like a fun road trip and I would NEVER let you leave, no matter how embarrassing it may be. Maybe we will do it some day, minus the bandits and flying dough! We could be your road managers on your coffee house tour!

annette said...

You shook ME all night long!

And you should be receiving The Jade Peony (and perhaps a treat or two or three) soon.

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

A trip to the Northwest? Possibly coming out to visit me? That's MY dream!

P.S. If you ever want to practice your uke duets with anyone, my grandma has been playing for 50 years and pretty much ROCKS IT!!!