Saturday, March 17, 2012

A week in review

I had a patient give me some homemade sauerkraut. I haven't tried it yet, as I have a mild aversion to things made in kitchens I haven't personally seen, but I thought it was a very sweet gesture concerning an off-hand comment about German food.

I had my first encounter with having to dismiss a drug-seeking patient. After being given several stories about the need for medication refills, I ended up having to call the patient and tell them we could no longer treat them for issues that involved narcotics. The patient then told me they wouldn't be back. The moral of this story is that the staff in medical offices are not dumb and your excuse that you left your medications in St. George or your medication was burned up in a house fire that ONLY affected the cabinet you keep your medications in, we're going to know.

I thought a patient had a spontaneous pneumothorax and got really excited. Turns out it was just some costochondritis. I was seriously bummed out....would it be too much to ask for a collapsed lung or a festering wound on occasion?!

There is some legislation here in Utah that would make sex education in the schools abstinence-only. HB363 would allow schools to decide not to have any sex education and the schools that choose to have sex ed could then choose not to teach about contraception beyond abstinence. I think it's extremely short-sighted and a lot of other people have agreed, so last week there was a protest at the Capitol, asking Governor Herbert to veto the bill. Hans and her friend Andrea went to the protest and made a sign. Their sign said: STDs Don't Wait For Marriage. They sign made it on TV, which was Hans' whole goal. Thankfully, the bill was vetoed and hopefully our legislators will start to realize the best thing we can do for our kids is to give them a full and complete education when it comes to their bodies and the best way to protect themselves. I've never heard of anyone having sex because of something they heard in health class....now, something they've seen on Melrose Place, that's a different story!

Continuing in sister news, Krista is now living in San Francisco and as she was on her way to work this week, she witnessed a gentleman throw himself off a high-rise apartment building and end his life in a bloody and terrible way. She said it was surreal and the body didn't look like a "real" body. Here's what's worse. This isn't the first time she's seen somebody kill themselves by jumping from a great height. That's right, my poor sister, has been unlucky enough to see it twice! I told her she needed to find a shaman and get her aura cleansed or something, because that is some terrible luck!!

Ann-ette: Does Mike clean out your ears using a water pik or does he use some diluted liquid stool softener and a plastic wand with a loop on the end?

2 comments:

annette said...

Mike's dealt with his fair share of drug-seekers. Welcome to medicine!

I've had costochondritis a few times. It sucks. The first time was scary--I thought I was having a heart attack or something. It tends to show up when I have certain viruses now.

Good for Megs. That's a bullsh*t bill that would only further harm an undereducated (sexy-time-wise) demographic. Yeesh. How many good mormon girls think they can get pregnant through french kissing and levi-loving?

Mike used warm water and some doctor-style squirt gun. I think that's the first thing you mentioned. We need to flush Grayzilla's ears too, but he'd totally freak out and the risk of perforated his ear drum while he's being uncooperative does not make it worth it.

Also, I think you're awesome.

Kevin Doyle said...

I second Annette - I think you're awesome, too. :)