Thursday, April 9, 2009

Apathy-Switch Engaged

Annette, I can't possibly guess the arrival of Alien Fetus Baby without knowing a few things first...ahem....whether or not you have a family history of early/late babies, whether AFB has dropped, and whether or not you're conferring with a Shaman/Voodoo Priestess in an attempt to get the kid out already.

Along those lines, I read an article about how parents have little to no influence on their children. That whether or not your kid turns out "okay" is based on peers and genetics. I'm not so sure I believe this. The parent/child dynamic is incredibly complex and although I don't think parents should blame themselves for the stupid decisions their kids make--I really do think experience and mistakes are the only way people learn, the only hope is that the mistakes aren't something they can't recover from--I do think parents can and do affect the way their children view the world and behave in it.

I've added another thing to my bucket list. I want to learn to ride a motorcycle and take an adventure...a la Easy Rider...only without the drugs and the rednecks and the getting beat to death...so...really more like a Doris Day movie with motorbikes. There's a company in Salt Lake that teaches you to ride--they provide the bikes and gear and you just show up and learn how to not die. I'm going to have to wait a little bit to do it (other priorities to tend to right now), but I've put it on my radar and it's a goal I've made for myself.

Lillith, I'm glad that you've joined the Twilight club...it's a happy place to be! I just finished Eclipse and will be starting on Twilight again (I lent my only copy of Breaking Dawn to my sister in law, although, to be honest, I only read the wedding/honeymoon section as the rest of the book makes my heart sad inside). I follow this pattern of finishing the books and then starting the series again and again. It's a lovely relaxation for my brain before I go to sleep and it brings a little joy to my life.

I've let the battery die on my cellphone. I find its silence to be cruel.

And Briskey, I read your Gay Truth Booth today. Mr. Watermelons sounds not very nice and I KNOW for a fact that you deserve better than being ignored...there's no way you'd allow this kind of behavior if I was the one enamored with Mr. Watermelons...in fact, now that I think about it, he's a little too reminiscent of Cupcake Head for me, and you don't want to hitch your wagon to that falling star do you?! And I'm going to pretend the whole "unknown number" wasn't inspired by me!!

I shall leave you with one of the best lines of lyrical genius ever sung: "....'Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin" Thank you, Lady GaGa. Thank you.

3 comments:

Kristiana said...

That's a stupid theory that parents don't have any effect on their kids. Look at how much dad and I have in common.

And Gavin is going to turn out terrific because he's got a pretty terrific mom...

Kevin Doyle said...

Carolyn and my boys (Jeff and Tuck) are definitely influenced by us, for better or worse. Oddly, I'm convinced that so is our golden retriever. Don't know what that says about parenting...

Additionally (and with no connection to the previous paragraph whatsoever) I ride a motorcycle. Yes, it can be fun. But I think they may be a trifle over-rated. Long rides make your butt go numb. And there's a bit of truth in the little goofy bit in the Jim Carrey movie ME, MYSELF AND IRENE (or whatever) where his teeth are full of insects. Very true.

Motorcycles are fun but, when it comes down to it, are just bicycles that you don't pedal. I guess that's fun in itself but the whole 'romance' of it kind of misses the mark for me.

Just my honest opinion. Nothing to lose sleep over. (speaking of sleep, time to hit the hay).

The Bears said...

Oh Amanda, you make my heart happy...first NASCAR and now continuous readings of Twilight... I am not alone!