Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A day of "Firsts"

Gavin is officially 6. Ok. Technically he's 6 & one day, but who's counting...certainly, not me, I didn't want him to turn 6, because by all accounts, the kid's gonna be cute for 2 more years and then he's going to start to hate me and get a smart mouth...he's already slightly verbally aware when it comes to statements, so I'm a little afraid to see what the future holds...

We decorated our Christmas tree yesterday. Mainly all of our decorations consist of hand-me-downs from my maternal grandparents or ornaments we've had since the dawn of time...but I like it...it may look ghetto to the outside world, but my tree is filled with memories and ornaments I made when I was a kid or the disco ball mirror donut or the ornament my sister got off the back of a Giggles cookie box when she was 6....there isn't an ornament on that tree that doesn't have a story and really, isn't that the point of Christmas?

Gavin had his first cavity filled today. Now, before you all think I'm a horrible mother and that my kid is going to have a mouth full of those creepy metal teeth, we caught it very early and the dentist was able to take care of it without having to numb him or even really having to drill much....so, see, no need to call DCFS. It was also his first introduction to Nitrous Oxide! Our dental assistant was lovely and explained everything that was going to happen without scaring him and then put the little "snout" over his nose. He told me it smelled funny, but I told him to keep breathing. Within 30 seconds, he was laughing and within 2 minutes he started yelling, "I can't even hear myself. Hello? Hello? Myself? Hello? Heeeeeellllllloooooooo? Me?" He spent most of the visit saying this and then telling our dental assistant, whose name was Cat, that it was lucky that there weren't any dogs around because dogs chase cats. I laughed until I cried. At least I know what kind of a drunk the kid is gonna be!

Gavin also had his first Holiday Concert tonight. Each of the different grades at school sang a couple of songs. It was the longest hour of my life, but Gavin was a star. He didn't cry and he wasn't scared. I was really proud of him. Getting up in front of a lot of strangers can be really intimidating, but he didn't let that stop him. He sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas like a professional. As such, I will be crushing that and any other inclination he might have to pursue the stage. Maybe he'll be a dentist.

2 comments:

annette said...

I'm happy to hear Gavin seems to have gotten your infectious sense of humor! Paula has some pretty funny stories about my niece being high at the dentist's office, too.

Kids on drugs = pure comedic gold.

Brian said...

Omg, I totally can picture your kid drunk.

And 6? Gavin is 6?!?! Wow. 6 years old and yet, I haven't aged a day.