Wednesday, December 3, 2008

You say I'm crazy. I got your crazy.

I'm officially 30. Ok. Technically, 30 years & 2 days. I had absolutely no problem with turning 30. I had a breakdown last year when I turned 29. I just didn't have another one in me. And although I have crow's feet and forehead wrinkles that desperately beg for botox, I don't feel 30. I feel as lame and dorky and insecure as I did when I was 14. I wonder when THAT feeling goes away?

My mom bought me a Twilight calendar for my birthday. What was I saying about being a dorky 14 year old? Oh, and FYI, Twilight is scheduled to come out on DVD sometime in February...evidently you can pre-order it already...I shall be reserving my copy under Mrs. Amanda Pattinson....

I think I may be the worst girlfriend ever. Scott sent me flowers for my birthday. Now, for as long as I can remember, I've disliked florist flowers...I'm not anti-flowers....garden flowers or "borrowing" flowers from an obliging field, I'm all for it....there's just something about spending $50+ dollars on flowers that are going to die, I don't dig...anyway, I thanked him for the flowers and for the thought and then told him to not send me flowers again. I mean, who does that?! What kind of girl does that?! What kind of girlfriend craps all over her boyfriend's kind gesture?! But I thought it was better to tell him than for him to continue wasting money on flowers. Was I wrong? Should I have just let him continue sending me flowers and just thanked him sweetly? Sometimes I worry that I'm not sure what to do with a boy who is nice to me.

So I got a call at work the other day, it went something like this:

Me: Cache Valley Center for the Arts, this is Amanda.
Caller: Yes. I'd like to speak with Ich Wong.
Me: I'm sorry. There's no one by that name here.
Caller: There isn't a Mr. Wong there?
Me: No. I'm sorry.
Caller: Ok. Thank you for your time.

After I hung up I realized that I could have made an awesome "I'm sorry, you have the WONG number" joke and I missed that great opportunity. It still makes me a little sad just writing about it.

I purchased Britney's new album...I have to say, it's deliciously dancey...I like the first half better than the second half....Track #3 is turning out to be my favorite....I really hope things start to brighten up for her...I know that sounds incredibly cheesy, since I don't even know her, but she seems like a nice girl who met the wrong guy and put a few bumps on her path....I don't know...maybe I can relate a little...

I've come to the realization that being a girl can kinda suck sometimes.

I wanted to send out a con-blog-ulations to Ann-ette....I'm glad your baby is not going to earn you a spot as a documentary on the Discovery Channel....well, not yet anyway!

6 comments:

Brian said...

She done said "con-BLOG-ulations." LOL. EW.

And I'm afraid I've done the same thing with boys in the past. Instead of taking a step back and appreciating the gift for what it was, I crapped all over it. Not literally, btw. It just comes with time and with knowing that sometimes boys just don't know better. Because let's face it--he should've known you don't like flowers. Even I....well...okay, I didn't know that either.

But it makes sense!

annette said...

I know you don't like flowers, but when a sweet boy sends them to you from far away on your birthday, there's only one thing to do: GUSH. It's romantic.

At the same time, it's important to be honest with your partner...

Thanks for the con-blog-ulations, by the way. In return, I'd like to sing you a song (imagine me doing my best Joe Cocker impersonation):

"You are so blog-iful
to me
can't you see?"

Kevin Doyle said...

No, the 14-year-old inside never goes away. And, you know, you never really want it to.

Kristiana said...

There's a term for when you think of the right thing to say after the opportunity has passed. It's called the wit of the staircase, as in you are leaving down the staircase when the perfect answer enters your head. It happens to me all the time. My staircase is hilarious. I am not.

Kevin Doyle said...

re: The Buttars/Olberman post on my blog::::

After the last election, my political leanings are no secret. And I am especially supportive of equal rights for all.

A few years ago I was on the USU President's Executive Council. We'd meet once or twice a month and advise on faculty and university policies and issues. A proposal was put forth (not by me) to offer domestic partner benefits. USU is one of the few state schools in the nation that does not offer this (along with the other Utah state schools - this all has to be finally approved by the state legislature). Lyle Hillyard, state senator from Logan, came to our meeting and threatened to cut off all funding to USU if we even discussed this issue. No amount of 'it is our right to discuss it and vote on it' responses would move him.

Eventually the faculty senate voted to approve full domestic partner benefits to all USU faculty and employees. Fascinatingly, when it was by a hand vote it failed overwhelmingly but when it was tabled and voted on again the next month, one clever senator asked for a ballot vote (which is not a public showing of hands but secret) and the vote went overwhelmingly the other way. You should have seen some of the fuming faculty senators chasing after some of the others leaving the meeting fast.

In the end, the university president refused to enact it (the faculty senate can only 'advise', it cannot set policy - which makes it completely toothless). We have a lot of trouble recruiting good teachers for a lot of reasons (we're isolated, the pay is pitiful, the benefits have shrunk to a point that they aren't a selling point anymore, it's expensive to live here, it's in conservative Utah so some proportion of potential applicants simply won't apply, and with no domestic partner benefits we have what most in higher education consider discriminatory policies).

Kevin Doyle said...

oops - and WHY did the USU President refuse to enact it? You probably guessed it: Sen. Hillyard told him point-blank that if he did USU would have no money at all and he would personally see to it.

Hillyard is scum.