Thursday, March 26, 2009

Each man in himself is everything

I don't like poetry. I don't like poets. I think it's a little self-grandizing and all very "look at how in touch with my emotions I am," but a few years ago, my sister introduced me to a poet by the name of Fernando Pessoa. His book The Book of Disquiet soon became a favorite...it was one of those books that inspired me to highlight passages and dog ear pages and write in the margin, so when Annette asked today about inner poets, I instantly thought of him. I have a few favorite poems and stanzas from A Little Larger Than The Entire Universe...here are a few:

Though I never taste glory and never
Receive love or due respect from others,
It will suffice that life be only life
And that I live it.
--May 26, 1917

I don't want the presents which,
Contrary to your intention, are
The very denial of what you give.
You give me what I'll lose,
Weeping its loss twice over,
As something of you and of me.

Promise it instead, without giving
Me anything, since then the loss
Will occur in my hopes
More than in my memory.

My only displeasure will be
The continual one of living,
Since the days pass and what's hoped for
Still doesn't come, and it's nothing.

--September 2, 1923

I encourage everyone to check out Disquiet...it's a very lovely, beautiful book...and Annette, it'll give you something to do to distract yourself from the impending birth of the alien fetus! Also, I've been trying to read Jane Eyre, but I have a hard time sticking with it...I prefer to watch the Masterpiece Theatre version instead....ooooh, Mr. Rochester...so angsty and delicious.

My Coke Zero addiction has been replaced by a new obsession, Cinnamon Toast eggos. They're the most delicious things on the planet and I've taken to eating them for breakfast AND dinner. And the only reason I don't eat them for lunch is because we don't have a toaster at work!

And sister, you totally know the pickle song....I don't want a pickle/I just wanta ride on my motor-cicle/and IIIIIII don't wanna die/I just wanta ride on my motor/cy/cuhl...

3 comments:

annette said...

The first time I read Jane Eyre it took me a while to get into it, too. Stick with it and once you hit the scene where she saves him from his fiery bed, it'll be worth it!

Loved the poetry, by the way. Thanks for sharing.

annette said...

PS Thanks--now I'm craving toaster waffles. Nice going, Rockne. What did I say about mentioning food without bringing me some?! Huh? WHAT DID I SAY???

Kristiana said...

I DON'T REMEMBER THE PICKLE SONG!!!!

But do remember that I have loads of great literature recommendations.

Will you sing the pickle song for me next time I call?