Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring is bustin' out all over!

I had to buy new pants this week. Long story short, I've gained some weight and as a result I was forced to buy new pants. It was while trying not to cry in the ladies dressing room that I began to wonder where this hatred of my body came from. I've never been a size 2, even when I was at my thinnest, I was never really "thin." I've always had cellulite and man calves and saddlebags and since the birth of Gavin, I've added stretch marks to the mix. But here's the lame thing--even with all my flaws, there's no reason for me to hate my body. The hips and thighs that I hate so much are strong and healthy. They carry me to and from work everyday. They're with me when I comfort my son. And they're not ever going to leave, so when do I, as a woman, realize that I'm ok just the way I am? When do I accept that I might just be a size 10 for the duration of my adult life and that to try and make myself fit in some kind of societal mold is just setting myself up to damage this beautiful, imperfect body who deserves more respect than I'm giving it. When do I say those immortal words, "I'm beautiful dammit" and whole-heartedly mean them? I think it happens about the same time I stop feeling like a 14-year-old girl. Oy!

I've become addicted to CokeZero. I can't stop myself. It's like Coke, but not. All of the Coke-y goodness and none of that oppressive guilt (see paragraph #1)! I know it's not good for me. It's flavored, colored sugar water, but it's just so tasty. Mmmmm....

Spring is just around the corner...I can feel it. The sun is getting sunnier and warmer. I didn't have to wear the raspberry beret 2.0 walking to work 2 days in a row this week. It's only a matter of time before the trees start budding and the flowers start blooming. I can't wait.

Scott is in Port Hawkesbury today doing sound for an Icelandic singer. His name is Thor. There's no story to accompany that, I thought the simple fact that his name is Thor made it noteworthy.

And Lillith, you can't be happy all the time. It's not healthy. Sometimes you just have to have a day where you want to punch people in their throats and melt the skin off their faces. With that being said, I do think you should warn people, so they can avoid the wrath...I've learned that some people don't actually like getting punched or having their skin melted off...I'm not entirely sure what their problem is, but some people are weird like that.

And Briskey, thanks for the advice. It definitely pays to have my own personal Gay Truth Booth!

And Annette, I will no longer make suggestions for the Christie progeny. I don't want to abandon you, but you're on your own. Although, maybe you should think about Thor!

No comments: