Sunday, March 22, 2009

Oh. Hello Pain. Yes, I know we have some business, but don't get too comfy, you're not going to be here long.

Well, gentle readers, some interesting things have happened since my last post:

1. My brother and his wife learned they are going to be having a little boy. They're going to name him Knute and my brother is campaigning pretty hard for the nickname "Knuckles." My dad wants "Tuffy," but I have a feeling "Knuckles" is going to win out in the end. God bless my patient sister in law, Jessica...she really does deserve some sort of prize.

2. My sister Krista turned 28! Congratulations on turning another year old, Sister...you make 28 look goooood!

3. Poor Hans has viral pneumonia. She's been doing that cough until you gag thing for the last few weeks.

4. And after a year and a half of dating, Scott decided to end things with me. I won't go into details, but needless to say I didn't see it coming. I really did think I was going to spend the rest of my life with him and it hurt when he ended things. I've never really had a "break-up" before....my relationship with Dustin was hardly a relationship, so it's been odd dealing with the aftermath. I think the hardest part is just retraining my brain: to not instantly add 3 hours onto the current time to determine what time it is in Nova Scotia, to not expect the call at 10:30am every morning to check-in and see how the day is going, and to not see something or have something happen and have my first response is "I need to call Scott." I've been reading 'It's Called a Break-up 'cause it's Broken' (it's written by the same guy who wrote He's Just Not That Into You) and it's been helping and I've taken the approach that the musical stylings of Kenny Loggins are going to get me through the heartache (really, try it, next time you're blue put on a little Kenny Loggins...it's fundamentally impossible to be melancholy while listening to the CaddyShack theme!). I decided that I'm not going to cry about it anymore. Sure it sucks. Sure it sometimes hurts to breathe. Sure it's not what I was expecting, but I'm not some pathetic, sniveling girl. I've got asses to kick and names to take and shit to do and crying in the women's toilet will not make him change his mind, so I'm pulling myself up by my proverbial love bootstraps and I'm moving forward. I refuse to sit on the corner waiting for him to change his mind...I'm not that girl and I don't want that kind of life.

2 comments:

The Bears said...

Oh Amanda... that sucks. Having never been the breaker, but the broken myself, I can testify... it does eventually get better.

Brian said...

Breathe and reboot, breathe and reboot. Happy to hear that you're doing better. While I'm a bit surprised I didn't get a shout out, your adorable voicemail the other day makes up for it. ;) (Btw, I'm keeping that voicemail forever. LOVE IT). And love you.