Thursday, June 25, 2009

Do these pants make my ass look fat?!!

A little story:

Gavin had reached the point where he was starting to smell like a puppy. As a mother it's my job to get him into the shower and as a kid it's his job to stall actually having to get wet. I'm not sure why this is. I mean, it can't feel good to be that dingy and stinky, but it's like a small defeat every time he has to scrub off that layer of grim. After about 10 minutes of trying to get him into the shower and he was trying to stall...I warned him that I was about to get angry...he quickly started telling me that I was the prettiest girl in the world and the best girl in the whole world and he wouldn't trade me for anything, etc. etc. etc. We then had this conversation.

Me: I think you're saying all those things to placate me.
Him: Well, the prettiest girl one, yes, the best girl one, no.
Me: So you were lying to me when you said I was the prettiest girl?
Him: You're the half-prettiest.
Me: Wait. What does even mean? "Half-prettiest"?!
Him: (Holding his arms out as a measurement tool for measuring prettiness) This is prettiness and you're half.
Me: Ok. So what is it about me that makes me only the half-prettiest.
Him: Things. But I'm not going to tell you.

I must admit it hurt my feelings for a moment--every mom wants their son to think they're the prettiest girl, but then I just laughed and realized that my son, at six, had already learned the valuable lesson of lying to a woman....

2 comments:

SB said...

Ok, I have to finally come out of the blog stalking closet on this one. That is hilarious! What an amazing six year old you have there. The fact that he really evaluated his "prettiest girl in the world comment" just makes his "best girl in the world" comment that much more genuine and sincere. So I would be pretty flattered if I were you.

PS: You may not remember me but we had a few theater classes together at Utah State. I found your link through Brian's blog. I've been reading for a few months and I really enjoy your writing. I promise I'm not a psycho; I’m just always on the look out for entertaining blogs. But if you suddenly go private now I'll understand. :)

Kevin Doyle said...

He is a funny, smart little guy. My guess is his idea of pretty is wrapped in a female 6-year-old body at preschool. I remember a crush on a girl from first through fifth grade that made all other females blurry by comparison.