Monday, June 29, 2009

Many People See Zebras Falling Like Elephants

I had my second Human Anatomy exam today. I wore my Sparkly pink barrette of Mystical Test Taking Powers and put a polite request into the wax baby jesus, so we'll see how things went. I try to remind myself that the point isn't the grade of the class, but the information I'm learning. Ok. So I can't remember the name of the ritual performed by the ancient Incans to remove the human heart in a quick and timely fashion (that was an actual question on the test this morning), but I know that the mandible is made up of the body, rami, angle, mandibular & mental foramen, mandibular condyle, mandibular notch and coronoid process (which is a site of attachment for your masseter muscle)....I know that the mandibular condyle articulates with the mandibular fossa on the inferior portion of the temporal bone and makes up the temporomandibular joint which is actually 2 synovial diarthrotic joints (this is part of the reason that some people, mostly women, have problems with their TMJ) and is a 3rd class lever system. It's not the grade that matters, it's the information that I'm learning and I'm learning A LOT!

I've started to work out again. It's been about 9 months since I've "worked out" (other than walking to work) and I realized that I missed the routine of going and spending an hour listening to Britney and sweating out the stress on the elliptical. I've also learned from my anatomy class, that as a woman, one of the best ways to keep my bones strong and healthy and keep osteoporosis and broken hips (which is actually a misnomer, because you don't break your hip, you break the neck of your femur...) at bay is to participate in moderate exercise. I've also learned that running and skiing are just the about the worst thing you can do to your joints and I intend to spend the remainder of my life avoiding an unhappy triad!!

Welcome mystery non-psycho blog reader! I really hope that I was nice to you while we had classes together at USU....I went through a stage of being slightly self-absorbed and I really hope I wasn't rude! I tried to look on YOUR blog for a clue about your identity, but I couldn't find one....on a side note, I TOTALLY agree with you about the acrylic nails!

5 comments:

The Bears said...

Is snowboarding okay for the old joints? I'm impressed with your mandibular knowledge. I was all about grades in school and sometimes forgot to actually learn. I'm glad you have your priorities straight. I couldn't figure out mystery blogger's identity either.

SB said...

I always feel guilty for not running more at the gym, but now I can just say that I'm trying to avoid injury.
My name is/was Shannon Tyler. I was at USU 1998-2000. I wasn't in very many producitons. The most note worthy was Emily in Our Town. Hope that helps. (And you were always nice to me. :))

annette said...

You're a smarty-pants, Lovely Amander.

PS Hey! I remember Shannon! She was delightful!

Brian said...

It sounds like you're in a really great place in your life Amanda. I'm so proud of you.

In reference to that Shannon Tyler bitch, you stay away from her. She's nothing but trouble.

I am, of course, kidding. I have to give that disclaimer lest someone think that I was mean or something....

Kevin Doyle said...

Running's bad for you, huh? That's bad news for me. I like to run. Is it better on a treadmill (since the thing 'gives' a bit when you jog on it)?

You are now our new font of knowledge for all things health-related. Better get used to it.