Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Perfection would be a bore, wouldn't it?

My sister Krista is a comparative literature major at the U. She takes some of the oddest and yet coolest classes for this major and I'm slightly green with envy with all the new and exciting things she gets to learn. She also keeps a blog. It's filled with really random things--it really is like her brain in blog form! She recently had to read an interview about the power of myth with Bill Moyers and Joseph Campbell, and posted some of the interview on her blog...I liked it so much that I'm going to steal it and put it on mine...

CAMPBELL: And then he says, "The writer must be true to truth." And that's a killer, because the only way you can describe a human being truly is by describing his imperfections. The perfect human being is uninteresting -- the Buddha who leaves the world, you know. It is the imperfections of life that are lovable. And when the writer sends a dart of the true word, it hurts. But it goes with love. This is what Mann called "erotic irony," the love for that which you are killing with your cruel, analytical word.

MOYERS: I cherish that image: my hometown love, the feeling you get for that place, no matter how long you've been away or even if you never return. That was where you first discovered people. But why do you say you love people for their imperfections?

CAMPBELL: Aren't children lovable because they're falling down all the time and have little bodies with the heads too big? Didn't Walt Disney know all about this when he did the seven dwarfs? And these funny little dogs that people have -- they're lovable because they're so imperfect.

MOYERS: Perfection would be a bore, wouldn't it?

CAMPBELL: It would have to be. It would be inhuman. The umbilical point, the humanity, the thing that makes you human and not supernatural and immortal -- that's what's lovable.

I love the phrase "umbilical point"

And, Annette, I still would've taken theatre classes and been involved in the department, I just would've gotten a degree that I could have a career in and not just a job. Regardless, we were destined to meet, because we're the same person and my inner Annette would have recognized that you were so close and I would have sought you out. Whether or not we would have spent 90% of our time eating bowtie pasta and diet sprites with a fresh lemon wedge, well, who knows...

Scott called me at work today. I must admit that he still gives me butterflies and I get very excited and happy to hear his voice. He was just calling to see how the day was going and to tell me we've reached a Relationship Milestone. Now. I was a little "Gulp. Oh shit. What did I forget" because I'm fairly good with dates and remembering anniversaries of important things (although, I still can't for the life of me remember birthdates...impossible...). It turns out that after dating for 16 months he now has my cellphone number committed to memory. This actually means quite a bit to me, as he's not very good with the remembering, so it melted my heart a little when he told me. It's funny how someone can enter your life so innocently and end up changing EVERYTHING in a really great way!

Briskey, I think you need to see what can happen with British Ben. Of course him living in England and you living in New York is less than ideal, but speaking as someone who's in a LDR, you can make things work. If he's game to trying it, you should see where it can go. My intention with Scott was to have a little fun and enjoy the attention for a little while and now I want to sit on the porch of his fisherman's cottage and grow old with him. At least when all is said and done you'll know that you tried and can look back with absolutely no regrets.

I have fallen in love with a new blog about unnecessary quotation marks. It's silly and funny and totally ridiculous, but it makes me smile and isn't that reason enough to visit a blog! Take a moment and check it out, at least you'll realize you're smarter than the people who write the signs! www.unnecessaryquotes.com

1 comment: