Sunday, November 23, 2008

Broody=Sexy (Angsty=Not So Much)

I have a friend, the lovely Bree-ah-na, who was recently married this past summer, I have visited her blog and I marvel at her openness about the sheer and absolute bliss she feels concerning the love for her new husband. It makes me both want to barf and then wonder why I'm not that open....

I went and saw Twilight today. I went in with no preconceived notions concerning from book to screen, as most movies are never as good as the books (I think I've only experienced 3 times when the movie did the book justice--Masterpiece Theatre's adapations of Persuasion...awwww...Captain Wentworth and Jane Eyre...awwww....Mr. Rochester all broody and dark and Emma Thompson's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility...awwww, Colonel Brandon). I must honestly say I felt, to borrow a phrase from Annette, 'meh' about it. I felt like all the charm and joy that I loved about the book didn't translate to the screen very well. Everyone was so angsty. Even Mr. Rochester at his darkest and most broodiest found time to find the joy of love with Jane, even if that love had the potential to be short-lived (not unlike our Edward & Bella). I found all of the "humans" to actually be the most entertaining part of the film, especially Billy & Charlie--who I wasn't expecting to like, since I thought the actor chosen to play Charlie was too handsome...it's amazing what a "dad" moustache will do to a man's cute quotient! I'll probably see it again. I kinda feel like I owe it to the book! On a side note: I attended the film by myself and a few moments before the movie started a boy sat next to me-- no girlfriend, no wife, no sister--just him. I smiled.

In the same vein as Twilight, I finished re-reading Breaking Dawn, and I didn't hate it (which was my initial reaction to it--I equated it to the excitement of Christmas morning and all I got was socks!). I came to the realization that Stephenie Meyer had to finish the saga that way. Breaking Dawn had to be what it was....it's kinda like Eve eating the apple...it had to be done....some people like that it happened, others are pissed about it...

I was informed the other day that one of the little girls in Gavin's kindergarten class has her eye on him and that she intends to marry him. I believe I will be locking him in a closet. Right. About. Now. Or, better yet, would anybody happen to know of any ways to stunt a boy's social development so he's scared of girls until he's about 25? No? Nobody? Huhm. I suppose I shall have to Google.

2 comments:

The Jones' said...

Do you blame the little girl?... Gavin is sooooo cute. And (though I've never ACTUALLY met him) one of the funniest kids ever!

The Jones' said...

p.s. I felt the same about the Twilight movie. Travis, however, hasn't read the books and really liked the movie. Now he wants to read them. I was curious what an outsider's perspective would be...