Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ummm...could you please not call me ma'am?

I realized today that I'm getting old. I've kind of been aware of this fact for the last little while, but it's become increasingly evident recently. People have taken to calling me "ma'am." Now, granted, I am nearly 30 (gulp) and I am usually accompanied with my nearly 6 year old son (double gulp), but I DON'T feel like a ma'am. And I most certainly do NOT appreciate the tween at Borders asking "Is there something I can help you find, ma'am?" "Actually, NO, Miley, I don't. My eyesight is just fine, thank you very much and I'm quite capable of finding the Classics section without any help from you."

I read on the back of a M & M's package that 1 in 8 women will have breast cancer in their lifetime. This is a scary statistic. This is an especially scary statistic to me. It's just a less-than gentle reminder that women need to be our own best advocates, especially where our bodies and health are concerned. Check yourselves, ladies.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. It makes me fairly grouchy. Then I feel guilty about being so bitchtacular. I miss naps.

I'm re-reading Breaking Dawn. I figured it's been a few months and I should give it another go. I don't dislike it as much as I did upon the first reading....I didn't want to throw the book when Jacob imprinted like I did the first time I read it....still doesn't mean I like the name Reneesme...ugh...

My boyfriend just broke up a girl-fight in the ladies toilet at a pub in Newcastle, England. I guess Canadians really are peace keepers.

3 comments:

Brian said...

There's no way that you're a "ma'am." You're a "lady" at worst. Or a "miss." Yeah, let's go with "miss." That sounds the sassiest.

I'm a big advocate for doing self cancer checks. I check my balls three, four times a day.

At least.

Kevin Doyle said...

Wow - M&M's not only don't melt in your hand, they provide important public service announcements.




Ma'am. (ain't no turnin' back now)

The Jones' said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have just finished reading ALL of your posts... and am now the happiest I've been all week! I have a few things to say:

1) I found your blog on Richie and Chrislynn's.

2) There is nothing on your blog that indicates that you are, in fact, you. (I didn't know for sure until I read Gavin's name.) However, based on your amazing wit and the way you write, I knew it had to be!

3)Your little boy is SO cute! And clever. I told my little sister the "poodle" joke and she giggled, but not as hard as I did.

4)Who is Scott?

5)If you happen to check out my blog keep in mind I am a rotten blogger. I don't post very often and they're usually rather boring. And brace yourself... you might be grossed out... I am in love.