Tuesday, November 11, 2008

29 Going on 14...

A few things of interest:

I recently procured myself the Twilight soundtrack and have now become mildly obsessed with Paramore. What's that all about? I suddenly feel 14. I have however fought the urge to buy a twilight poster/t-shirt...resist, Amanda, resist.

It's a show day today. We have the African Children's Choir in residence. It's a choir made up entirely of African children who have lost either one or both of their parents to war, genocide or HIV/AIDS and yet they're so joyful. They sing and dance and ask for seconds of mashed potatoes. It makes me feel ungrateful. They've had to overcome so much already in their little lives and here I am with a roof over my head and food in my belly and I'm complaining about my thighs touching.

Scott is currently in the UK (he's rocking Northern Ireland tonight). He's mixing sound for The Stone Gods. I would recommend them to anybody who enjoys some hard licks and rockin' riffs (I have no idea what that means, but they use those phrases to market Rock Band, so it's gotta apply to this situation). They're actually quite talented, check 'em out if you're a metal head.

Keri (my office special friend) and I helped a young man propose to his girlfriend the other night. It was all very elaborate. Keri & I watched their reflection in the big window and when she finally said yes we clapped and cheered. Then I puked. People in love gross me out.

Ya know what else grosses me out. Prop 8 passing. It's nothing more than state sanctioned civil rights violations. I actually saw an ad the Prop 8 folks had produced that had a family talking about how they didn't want their children to have to learn about homosexual marriages and "normalizing" same sex partnerships & families. As a mother, that makes me both sad and angry. Sad, because I think it's a parent's job to teach their child that the world is a big place--filled with lots of people and places and differences, but that everybody is important and deserves the same happiness. It makes me angry because MY child is going to have to inhabit the same world as these homophobic douchebags.

On a lighter note, I shall end this post with a joke from Gavin. We were walking to school yesterday and it was raining enough to require an umbrella. Gavin said to me, "Cruddy rain." To which I replied, "Hey. It could be worse. At least it's not raining cats & dogs." Without missing a beat Gavin said, "But I would know it was raining cats & dogs when I step in a poodle!"

Now, if you'll please excuse me...for some odd reason I feel the strange need to go shopping at Hot Topic and hang out at a food court...

2 comments:

Brian said...

Your kid is going to be a stand up comic, I just think you should know so you're prepared.

Kristiana said...

Gavin amazes me.