Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!

Well, Friends, I had both an awesome and anti-awesome holiday season!

I went to work on the 24th and came home and hugged my sisters and father who had come up for the holiday and made some Christmas Eve dinner and wore my awesome Hawaiian themed apron while I was clearing up and pre-washing the dishes before they went in the dishwasher and cut my thumb on the top of a can and was applying pressure to stop the bleeding that refused to stop (damn can), when the doorbell rang. My father answered it and I heard him say, "Hey!! Come in!!" Hans then looked over at me with rather wide eyes and mouthed, "It's Scott." That's right. My boyfriend had spent the entire day getting from Halifax, Nova Scotia via Boston via Denver to surprise me for Christmas! This just further continues my belief that I am the worst girlfriend ever and don't really deserve him!! He was the best Christmas present I could have received! Unfortunately, with all Rockne family get-togethers there was a bit of drama and I ended up crying in the women's toilet and resolving to go on a far-away trip for the Holidays next year...I'm thinking Puerto Rico...the warmth and availability of delicious, delicious Rum makes it an appealing destination...I think Gavin would like a Christmas on the beach next year...I was sorry that Scott had to face the full-force of a Rockne Holiday, but he handled it like an absolute pro (again, a further reminder that I'm not exactly sure why he's with me)...and even took Gavin sledding...and if Scott hadn't purposely aimed for the bump half-way down Old Main they probably would have successfully had a non-crashing trip!

I hate to admit it, because it's not very "I'm an independent woman who doesn't need a man to validate my existence" but I miss my boyfriend when he leaves...but I try to focus on the fact that I was lucky to get to see him at all and that I'll get to see him in a couple of months after he Sun Runs!

I've decided I hate New Year's Eve. It's a pointless holiday really. It's just another day to remind you that you're going to die fat and alone and be found 2 weeks later, half-eaten by wild dogs.

I've had the last week off from work. It's been a lovely break and Gavin, Scott and I have spent the time watching marathons on the Discovery Channel. Today, Gavin and I have been watching Mythbusters. After watching a few episodes, Gavin decided that he had some myths he needed to bust and has spent the day building various "myths" and then "busting" them...it's days like these that make me enjoy motherhood...also, the fact that my kid watches Judge Judy with me...and when asked "What's Shakin'?" he shakes his bum and says "Nothin' but my little, little bootay!"

Scott bought me some soap from Lush that makes me smell like a Swedish Fish. After telling him this fact, he asked "What's a Swedish Fish?" Then I wondered if I could continue to date someone who's never eaten a Swedish Fish!

I am not making any New Year's Resolutions this year. What's the point. Wait. I just lied. I have made ONE New Year's Resolution...it's to ask my kid "What's shakin'" more often!

2 comments:

Brian said...

I love that you got surprised, I love that your kid is growing up to be so much like you, and I love you!! Next year come spend Christmas with me!

The Bears said...

Best resolution I've heard yet!