Saturday, January 24, 2009

I shall mourn the loss of the "Gentleman"

I think it's fair to say that chivalry is dead. I know this to be true due to the fact that not one, not two, not even three, easily 15 strong, virile young men walked past me today while I was carrying a fairly large box filled to overflowing with picture frames and flower vases and not ONE offered any assistance of any kind. In fact, I actually had a group of 8 guys make me stand and wait to pass through a door while I was holding 2 large metal easels. I realize that as women, some of us can be very "grrrr...I'm a strong woman...grrr...I don't need your help, you man...grrr" but just for all my male readers, the next time you see a woman carrying something...open the effing door and don't make her stand there waiting while you and your other fratty best friends stroll through a door.

The Bridal Faire was interesting. I wasn't next to a videographer this year. Instead I was nestled snuggly between an insurance salesman who would start every conversation with "When's the big day" and then start in on them to get their insurance needs in order, especially life insurance because he just helped a woman who was married 6 months ago and her husband was just recently killed in a car accident, and a family who rents Chocolate Fountains who had very specific rules on how to dip a pretzel in the chocolate "curtain." I'm not entirely sure if it isn't better to be stuck listening to All For One for 8 hours straight.

While on campus for the Bridal Faire I signed a petition to help save USU from more budget cuts. I know it probably won't mean much, but every little bit helps.

I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and lounging about watching tv, drinking Snapple Peach Ice Tea and starting on The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with the kid. We finally finished The Magician's Nephew last night. I've never actually read anything by C.S. Lewis and I find his writing style to be quite charming. Yessica has lent me the entire series and I'm hoping to get them back to her before the kid is 16!

2 comments:

The Bears said...

Definitely better to be by the chocolate fountain, but only if you have a box of costume hats and can keep going through the sample line pretending to be a "new" person.

Brian said...

"And I swear...by the moon and the stars and the sky. I'll be there (I'll be there)"